Sunday, August 20, 2006

Killing Me Sweetly

Oh. My. God. What the hell have I been putting in my body!?

In my own tips section I basically say "don't do the sugar free thing." But this weekend I suddenly realized that I have been eating a lot of Aspartame. (Nutra-Sweet / Equal) I think it has been affecting me.

There have also been studies that show artificial sweeteners screw up the body's natural ability to know when you are satisfied, thus crippling weight loss efforts.

So today I have gone "Cold Turkey." We threw out all the stuff that contained Aspartame, or the "Phenylalanine Warning," then bought replacement products. The stuff with real sugar have like 20 to 70 calories more per serving. The odd thing was, even though they had more calories, I actually ate less calories. This was because I felt satisfied much longer. So I did not need to eat as frequently. I also didn't have any intense cravings today. Which is great because lately I've been feeling like the Ravenous Bugbladder Beast of Traal. (For those of you who know where your towel is.)

I think I'm off to a good start! Aaron wants me to take some time to "detoxify." So I am going to be eating simple unprocessed foods for a while. My daily calories are also changing to a more "maintenance mode" level, instead of a weight loss amount. (Although, websites suggest that I'll lose some weight just by freeing myself from the chemicals. )

Time to hit the sack!

Jess

No comments: