Thursday, January 11, 2007

My New "Carrot"

As you may know... the real key to my weight loss success has been self-bribery. Human beings are "hard-wired" to avoid pain and seek pleasure, so I've tapped into these 'primal instincts' to help achieve my fitness goals! :)

Exercise is often perceived as "pain." It's this horrible, sweaty, laborious chore that you have to, but really just want to avoid! So I dangle a "carrot" in front of myself to get me going. I give myself big rewards for reaching my big goals. ( My next "big carrot" is the DVD Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, vol. 1!!! ) And as I work towards my big reward, I push myself along with small daily rewards, like :

"I will not allow myself to turn on the computer until I ride the bike!"

You can modify this statement into something that really motivates you!

"I will not allow myself to make phone calls..."
"I will not allow myself to watch T.V..."
"I will not allow myself to knit... "

You got the idea! ;) It's amazing how well this works when you push your buttons right!

But even with all these "carrots," I don't think I could have done this alone.

Aaron has been so wonderful through all of this, so I make sure to he gets rewards too! For helping me stay healthy, Aaron will soon be picking up the complete 1943 movie serial collection of Batman on DVD. It truly is where "Batman Begins" on the Silver Screen!

Well, I better wind it down for the night, and spend sometime with Mr. Perfect himself. :9

Cheers!

Jess

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done...I like the visual of the carrot! :)

Tammy said...

I like that idea, I might have to try it. I was wondering something though, you havent posted your weight for a while now and I was just wondering what your at now? If you dont mind me asking.

Unknown said...

I was 145.25 this morning.

I have been plateaued around 145 for over a year. But I plan to finally break free with the advice in this article.

http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100152388