Saturday, March 28, 2009

A "Game Day" That Was Not a Calorie Train Wreck!

I have updated the code on all of my pages now.

Things are still a bit buggy in IE, Opera, and Safari. I apologize for that and will be working hard to get my code to play nice with those browsers. Resizing the browser fixes the bug in IE... or having a wheel on your mouse to scroll.

I do want to note: Everything seems to work fine in Firefox!

Firefox rocks!


So besides driving myself crazy tweaking the code here, we had some friends over to play games today! Most game days turn into a calorie train wreck!

We always order a pizza, subs or Chinese. I try to order healthy items, but by the time the food actually arrives I end up eating way too much.

This doesn't count the "snack" foods we often have out for guests!!!


Gaming days never go smoothly for weight loss but today was different!


Here is my calorie breakdown for today:

Breakfast
I had an egg white "Toad in the Hole."


"Toad in the Hole"
1 tbsp butter (100 Calories)
1 egg white (70 Calories)
1 slice of bread (100 Calories - pre-cut)

In a small frying pan, melt the butter.
Use a glass or cookie cutter to remove a round hole from the center from a slice of bread. (I did not eat my center.)
Place the bread into the frying pan, and crack an egg into the hole. (I did not eat the egg yolk either.)
Cook over a low heat so the egg gets white and firm. Once the egg white is firm enough, carefully flip the bread to toast the other side and finish cooking the egg.

Very Yummy.


For lunch I had a Amy's Kitchen Bean and Cheese Burrito for 300 and a tablespoon of Salsa for 20 more.


So I was around 550 to 600 calories.


After lunch is when I nearly lost control....

It started with 32 chocolate chips.

There are sixteen Ghirardelli Chocolate Chocolate Chips in a 70 calorie serving. So I counted out two servings for 140 calories.

Then I think, "You know what goes great with chocolate? PEANUT BUTTER!"

So I get out a bowl and put a lump of organic creamy peanut butter into it. The peanut butter is really hard because it has to be kept in the fridge, so I put it all in the microwave. This melted the chocolate all together.

I then think - "Natural peanut butter needs some sweetening."

So now I pour way too much powdered sugar to the bowl. It takes on a crumbly consistency, so I figure it need some butter to smooth things out.

I add about a tablespoon of butter to the bowl and start mixing... then I start adding things up in my head.

32 chips, 140
Butter, 100
Peanut Butter, 210
Powdered Sugar... 300+?

I easily defeated the voice in my head that said, "You have to eat this or it will be wasted!!!" and dumped the whole thing in to the garbage!

I then counted 16 chips into a mini cupcake wrapper and enjoyed them slowly!!

Those 70 calories were all the sweeter knowing I had saved myself from such a calorie disaster!!!

Calorie total: 670

Then the Gamers came over....


Whenever we game we also order food... and you know how delivery food is. (Pizza, Chinese, Subs...)

They ordered Pizza, well this pizza to be specific:

Chicken Cordon Bleu



We start with our Honey Mustard sauce and House Blend Cheese,
then we add Boar's Head Sweet Slice Ham, sliced fried Chicken Tenders
and slices of melted Wisconsin Swiss Cheese. A unique treat!




But two of the guys didn't like Honey Mustard, so they substituted Alfredo sauce, and got the honey mustard on the side.

I decided to skip the pizza and ordered 3 ricotta and spinach stuffed jumbo shells. I esimated the calories in my pasta, with garlic bread to be about 900 calories.

Even with all this temptation, I was able to keep my calorie total to around 1600.
I stop a binge before it happened, and also avoided the pizza from the pizza place. :) Yea!