Thursday, June 22, 2006

This is my Brain on Cosmo....



I was at the doctor today for a check-up and two things really set me off.

One was a article called "Half Their Size" in People Magazine. It was about people who had lost lots of weight without surgery. I was like cool, this is like me... But then the article said "No matter how many sit-ups you do, after losing a massive amount of weight you have to have plastic surgery to 're-contour' the body."

This really upset me because my body didn't NEED to be "re-contoured." I lost my weight slowly, so my skin kept up with my new shape. Deep down, skin is LIVING TISSUE, not a worn out sack stuck on your outside!!! And in time skin takes your new shape. (If you are young enough...)

The other thing that set me off were the air-brushed models in the advertising.

When I was on BBC's website today I discovered that they are doing a show to tomorrow night on The Money Programme called The Beauty Backlash. (BBC Two at 7pm)

I wish that I had access to see it... (I'd even pay for the Color T.V. license.)

I sounds like it is about the self-image problem many women have from the young airbrushed models featured in advertising.

How the make-up companies bleed us for money while touting magic creams that will reduce the appearance of wrinkles, make you desirable, or firm up your thighs. (Because You're Worth It!)

Nearly all of their ads feature a woman that has never had a wrinkle or cellulite in her life. (And they still airbrush her!)

They have been doing this since the 1970's. That's 30 years of making women believe they can't be beautiful without make-up... how sad. :(

In reality, I don't wear make-up unless it is a special occasion, and this post was one of them. ;)

No comments: