Thursday, April 12, 2007

Getting smart about it! :)

I haven’t got on the scale the last few day. I got my period on Easter, and thought it would be better to wait until it was over. I know my weight spikes around this time of the month. Then you add in Easter Candy + PMS, and that can’t be a good result!

I get so tired and worn-out and sore and crampy and down right horrible to be around this time of the month. Aaron is truly an Angel who deserves a reward for his comforting and supportive nature!

In my last post I said how my mom said that I don’t have to worry about food anymore now that I’m “thin.”

That is SO untrue, and an article from the BBC News confirmed that. The article was called "Many dieters 'finish up heavier."

To sum it up - most “diets” are not as successful as they claim because there isn’t a follow up to the weight loss study to see how they are doing afterwards.

Lead researcher Traci Mann said: "We found that the majority of people regained all the weight, plus more. In one study, 50% of dieters weighed more than 11 pounds (4.99kg) over their starting weight five years after the diet.

"Diets do not lead to sustained weight loss or health benefits for the majority of people. We concluded most of them would have been better off not going on the diet at all. Their weight would have been pretty much the same, and their bodies would not suffer the wear and tear of losing weight and gaining it all back."

Professor Mann said in her opinion eating in moderation was a good idea for everybody as was regular exercise. (This is what I did, and I am still doing. It’s a lifestyle change, not a “diet.”)

Dr Ian Campbell, medical director of Weight Concern, said too many people approached dieting as a short-term measure. (Like I need to lose 25 pounds by June.)

"Keeping weight off is a life-long challenge. It is just like heart disease or mental health problems, if you stop taking your medicine you can get worse. People who are overweight often don't have a balanced lifestyle and after losing weight too many stop keeping active or eating healthily."

It *really* is about being healthy and sticking with it. Living on lettuce for a few weeks, then switching back to McDonald's, then back again isn't balanced. You gotta find a middle ground you can stick with for life that is healthy as can be! :)

3 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Jess

Just wanted to say that I read your blog regularly and that you are very inspiring!

Did you ever diet previously? If so what made the difference this time?

J

Unknown said...

I never really tried dieting before. I thought, "what's the point, I'll just get fat again."

I was a "Fat Girl" and Fat was who I was. It was my identity. I didn't think it was something I could change.

I had the misconception that in order for me to lose weight I'd have to live off salad forever. (Screw that!)

My husband was the one who made the difference in my life. He helped me see that I did not have to be a "Fat Girl."

He helped me learn that I could eat all the foods I love and still get healthy. I just had to get my life in balance.

It has taken years and hard work, but it's been totally worth it!!

I've stuck with it all these years with Aaron's support, and bribery. ;)

To learn healthy habits, I'd get rewards for my good behavior. (Rewards should never be food. Food is not a reward - it is just the fuel our body needs to run on.)
Until I broke the old habits, an learned to live healthier ones. :)

I hope this helps answers your questions. :)

-Jess

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have lost and found over 1000 pounds in the last twenty years and know it is about life style changes and not a diet. Having said that, I recognize every day needs to be paid attention to and proper decisions made...

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Judi